Sunday, January 10, 2010

Journey to Sisterlocks







It all started in the summer of 2005, when I attended a graduation party.
The graduate and his family (there were a lot of them) were from Trinidad. As I walked around unconfidently wearing a relaxer, I started to notice all of the beautiful, natural hairstyles all of the women of the family had. There were locks, twists, wraps....you name the hairstyle, a woman there had it. No matter what the style, though, they were all natural. In short, I fell in love. I knew that day that one day I would go natural. I left the party telling myself that I wanted my hair to look just like theirs.

In October 2006, I did it.
After a year of without a relaxer and only braids and various styles, I had a hairstylist chop all remaining relaxer off. My "natural" afro (with straight ends!) was at least 6 inches, long enough to also tie back and twist.

On November 6, 2008, I started my Sisterlock journey.
After 25 months of enjoying natural hair, and eight months into my pregnancy (hence the puffy face), I decided to Sisterlock. My consultant in Maryland did a great job with my hair. In only 11.5 hours she managed to transform my afro into ~700 locks. She did no styling. The "bob" look is a result of my natural hair cut at the time.

Now I live in (my hometown) Texas (since April).
My Sisterlocks have been retightened 3 times since I have been back. I lost a couple along the way; a few were combined.
At last count, I have 669 (if you count the ones that are combined as one lock instead of two or three combined to one).

I decided to start a blog, as I have seen many of my Sisterlocked sisters do, to document my journey.
I absolutely love my Sisterlocks, and although there are ups and downs and adjustments, I do not regret getting Sisterlocks.

3 comments:

  1. How long does your retightenings take? Gorgeous locks by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bee, thank you so much for sharing your sisterlocks journey with us. I plan on getting sisterlocks soon but I'm waiting for the right moment, consultant etc. Your locks look beautiful. I am definitely going to learn how to retighten before I start this journey. From what I've gathered, it would be a very wise investment. Keep lovin your locks! Ya Ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, which Sisterlock Consultant did you go to in MD? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete