Saturday, July 31, 2010

First Braid Out

Call it a hair funk, reality after the honeymoon, whatever. Since getting Sisterlocks in November 2008, I've been happy with wearing my hair as is: straight, no products, no styling. Now I am reaching a phase where I want to see more from my hair.

I shook off the old do' and am trying new things.

The day before yesterday I did a braid out. I washed my hair, shirt-dried it, applied diluted Sisterlocks moisture treatment, sectioned my Sisterlocks in two parts horizontally, and then braided each part into 6 or 7 cornrows going back. I sprayed each cornrow lightly with Lotta Body as I braided. I used rubber bands to secure some of the ends. I wore my hair in that style 2 days. I took the braids out this morning, and the pictures show the end result.
Front view of braid out

I think my hair turned out okay. Although it makes my locks look a little shorter, I like the "crinkled" look and the volume of the locks. The only thing that bothers me about this look is that some of the ends of my locks, especially in the back, did not curl right due to the bulbs growing at the end of the locks. When you look at my hair, there are stray bulbs sticking out everywhere. Next time I may use my perm rods on the ends of my hair so the bulbs are less obvious.

I hear that to maintain this look for a few days you just need to braid your hair in bigger sections each night and then undo them in the morning. I intend to do this and see how long I can wear this style.

5 comments:

  1. Pretty! I haven't done much styling either. Last and 1st time I did a braid out was last summer! I didn't like it because I really didn't have any length. I think you just inspired me to try it again soon. It looks really cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Natural High! I have actually done another braid out since then, and it turned out 100% better than this first braid out I posted. I am getting the pics together to post. It can be a little time consuming in the beginning, but the more care I take when I do the braids, the better the braid out turns! I will have to check your site to see if you've done one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your locks! Are you still in Austin and if so, what is the name and address of your SL technician. Please feel free to email me at soulaquarian1@yahoo.com. Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. It looks good, but if your braid out styles ever get tangled or matted just use the Take Down Remover cream for taking out braids, weaves, twists or natural dreadlocks.

    The product detangles very matted tangled hair easy and safely.

    It also prevents hair breakage no matter how long your braids or weaves are in. It is great for women who are transitioning to natural hair from relaxers as well.

    It is not a water based or glycerine based product-so it works on every type of hair texture, every head, every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I am considering sister locks. I wanted to know if there was an initial phase when you missed your puffy hair? I'm concerned with missing my big hair. I've been wearing two strand twists back to back to see if I can handle not having big hair anymore. I love the convenience of not having to mess with my hair in the morning when it's in the twists.

    ReplyDelete